Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pigman Sprint Race Report

On Sunday I raced the Pigman Spring in Palo, IA. Great race, good time, and definitely a sprint! Here is a quick race report. My warm-up was mostly putting on my Hurricane wetsuit from Kyle's Bikes and swimming for about 20 minutes. And yes, I seriously count putting on the wetsuit as part of the warm-up! The elite female wave was first as this was an equalizer event (women start first, men 8:44 back and it's a race to see who can cross finish line first).

The swim started and I was out in front but some chick was right on my feet grabbing at my ankles. She almost pulled my timing chip off so I had to stop and shove it under my wetsuit quick. But right back to swimming. I was surprised that in such a short swim no one was closer to me-I was first out of the water in 6:14, a minute up on the next few girls. Into T1. The wetsuit didn't come off as easily as two weeks ago, but still not bad.

Out of T1 and onto the bike. What is this car driving on the course in front of me? Oh yeah, it's the lead car! I had never been the first one before! It was kind-of neat to follow the lead car for a while, makes you feel kinda special. And in the good way, not the short-bus way. I lead the bike until about half way. Three girls passed me within one mile, then no more girls passed me on the bike. The bike went well except none of my computer was working so I had no idea my speed or cadence and I tried to fix my front brake about half way through because I was afraid it was rubbing on my wheel. Next time I need to double check these things before the race starts!

Came into and out of T2 in fourth. I managed to pass one girl half way through the run, but right after another girl passed me. So I was 4th overall. I was the first Iowan to finish so I called to race in the Best of the US race in Orange County in October. That was pretty cool. I know what I need to work on this week (transitions!) and how to better prepare for future races (double check equipment and check out the areas leading into and out of transition). Glad I did this race but really looking forward to more Olympics and especially the 70.3s!

No comments:

Post a Comment