Thursday, August 1, 2013

Racine 70.3

Ironman 70.3 Racine was a beautiful race, swimming in the clear water of Lake Michigan, biking on the gently rolling Wisconsin country roads, and running along the lake on a path and roads lines with many cheering spectators.
Saturday morning I went for a practice swim in Lake Michigan. The water was cold (around 65 degrees) but calm and clear. On race morning the winds had picked up and there were significant waves and chop. The swim was a bit brutal. I had a mini panic attack, but I didn’t even notice the temp. My swim went ok, but the mini panic attack set me back at the beginning and I never quite made up the time I lost.
Tami Ritchie on the bike at Ironman 70.3 RacineThe bike was along picturesque country roads. Some of the roads themselves were in good condition, but many were bumpy. My bike went okay considering the training I have been doing and considering we decided not to really rest for this race with Louisville being just a few weeks after. My bike is still no where near where I want it to be, but I think finally, slowly, heading in the right direction. I did drop my water bottle right after the second aide station after passing all the people handing them out, so out of luck until aid station 3… about 15 miles later.
On to the run, a bit behind on hydration, but feeling pretty good. Run also went well, all considered. Again, still work to do, but headed in the right direction. Held a great pace through mile 9. Then headed deep into the hurt locker for the last 4 miles.
Tami Ritchie running at Ironman 70.3 Racine
Felt good to get out and finally feel like I was able to actually push hard for a race and come out fatigued from racing hard, not just because I feel chronically fatigued. Time was quite off from what I was hoping for, the majority of that because of the bike, but I’m going to look at the positives from the race and get excited for Louisville!
Thank you to everyone who has helped me get this far, happy and healthy! DiscountTriSupply.com, Kyle’s Bikes, Krueger Chiropractic, TYR, Oakley, family, friends, wonderful homestays, and all the volunteers on race day!

No comments:

Post a Comment