Sunday, June 16, 2013

St. Croix Race (if you can call it a race!) Report

St. Croix wasn't much of a race for me. There were torrential downpours the evening and all through the night before. This left gravel all over the road. Not just a little gravel, I mean 10 feet long of thick rough grave every few miles. Many people were either fixing flats or had to drop out from flats or other mechanical problems. I did not get a flat, but had other issues. The biggest one was probably rocks. A blister started to form about the middle of the ride. It ended up causing me to run (well, hobble really) with my shoe half on. I just wasn't going to go all the way down to the island to not finish the race, with the exception of my heel I was healthy and decided to slowly enjoy the rest of the course simply because I could.
 
Practice swim
 
The water is crystal clear and beautiful. During the swim I saw fish, turtles, and a small stingray. St. Croix is my favorite swim course. The bike is hilly. Hilly the entire 56 miles. It rained on us. Some of the roads weren't in the best conditions to begin with, add in the damage from the night before, plus some new downpours during the race, and it became is crazy bike course. I think I personally really struggle coming from the trainer to outside, especially on hills or technical courses.  I need an adjustment period, especially if there are hills involved, and just did not get any biking time in outside prior here in the lovely Iowa never-ending winter. In the two weeks I've been back and riding outside I already feel tremendously strong and more confident on my bike. The run was hot. As I said I had a blister so by this time it was not longer a race for me. Just time to enjoy being happy, healthy, and on a beautiful island. We stayed a few days after the race to do vacationy type things and had a blast, it was hard to come back.
 
 

 


Buck Island

Buck Island

Buck Island

The Blister

Beer drinking pigs in the rainforest
 

Training on the course pre-race

More from the course before the race

Coming out of T1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment